Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lycra attack!

Happy New Year a month late!

So I started off the year trying to find a place to ride that didn't reguire having to wash my bike and gear after every ride but it was tough! Pretty much been riding the Tallboy LTC toward the end of December and beginning of January then started to focus more on the single speed Nimble 9 hard tail 29er. I entered my first single speed xc race last weekend in Monterey at the first CCCX XC race of 2013 at Fort Ord for some punishment and it was all that! The course is acuatly a flowing fun 4.6 mile loop that Cat 2 does a total of 4 times adding up to 18.7miles on the Garmin, Took me a time of 1:50 min to complete putting me in a 3rd place finish amongst a group of 5 :)

I learned a couple things about racing a single speed that day and one being it's faster to run up a hill in traffic that stall out and also that 20mph is the spin out range for a 32x18 setup!

All in all I'm happy with my finish and looking forward to racing this month on the 16th.

Thanks to Team Spare Change, Alamo Bikes and Sports Basement for their support!

If it looks like I have Lycra on in the pictures your correct!
18 miles of comfort! :)

Let the comments begin!

Sean


4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Nice blog you got here!
    I noticed you previously owned a Blur TRC and now also a Tallboy LTC. I wonder if you could give a comparison between the amount of fun each bike generates? :-)

    I am about to buy one, either the TRC or an TB LTC. Climbing will be better on the LTC I guess, manualing not so much probably...

    Greetings Znarf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I didn't buy anything yet. Currently I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29 from 2011. I upgraded every component on it, but I'd love to own a Santa Cruz again. I think I am set on the Tallboy LtC, really like rollover and speed of the big wheels.
    Do you notice big difficulties lofting the front wheel on the TB compared to the TRC?

    Greetings Znarf

    ReplyDelete
  3. The LTC does feel "Heavier" in regards to lofting the front wheel to me but the shorter wheel base has alot to do with it.

    How do you like your Stumpjumper? a buddy of mine is building a new carbon version.

    ReplyDelete