Saturday, December 8, 2012

"The non professional review" Canfield Brothers Nimble 9

So I picked up a Nimble 9 from Canfield Brothers a couple weeks ago as I was looking for a steel HT 29 with a slack head angle that I could run single speed or gears. This frame is my first Chrome Moly 4130 frame as I heard of the hype of steel vs aluminum and from my first ride the difference was very noticeable! it almost acts as suspension and the bike is very quite and stiff. The bike has a slack 69 degree head angle when using a 100mm fork and a short chain stay that is adjustable with slide drop outs for either single speed or gears. The frame is very well built and the attention to detail is crazy for the price you pay ($650).

The ride of this bike is a blast! quick and stable handling at any speed and with the short chain stay it turns on a dime! one of my biggest concerns of having a slack HA/short chain stay bike was the ability to climb steeps, no worries with this bike just crank and it goes up without the typical slack head angle front end "wandering" and when you get out of the saddle the bike just digs in and goes!


I'm currently set up SS with a 32x20 combo that works best for the places I ride though I feel a 18 for the rear is in the future as soon as my legs get stronger :) I'm running a Fox Float 100mm fork with a Cane Creek head set with a Thomson 70mm stem and Easton Haven carbon bars (711mm wide). Formula R1 brakes. Thomson Elite set back seat post with a WTB Volt saddle (awesome saddle) The wheels are WTB trail 29 hoops laced to a Chub Front hub and a Chub single speed rear with Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires set up tubeless. For cranks I'm running the E13 XCX+Single Speed crank set and bottom bracket. To finish it off I'm running Shimano XT pedals. The complete build weighs 26 lbs! Not bad for a steel HT29:)

One thing that also turned me on to the Nimble was the great customer service I received from Sean at Canfield! I must have emailed him 50 times with questions and concerns and he responded to all of them! Being a smaller company you really get that "Mom and Pop shop feel"

If your interested you should check out their website at www.canfieldbrothers.com or give them a call at 801-548-2556 ask for Sean :)

No comments:

Post a Comment